REST (Representational State Transfer) is an architectural style for designing applications and it dictates to use HTTP for making calls for communications instead of complex mechanism like CORBA, RPC or SOAP. There are few principles associated with REST architectural style:
- Everything is a resource i.e. File, Images, Video, WebPage etc.
- Every Resource is identified by a Unique Identifier.
- Use simple and Uniform Interfaces.
- Everything is done via representation (sending requests from a client to server and receiving responses from server to client).
- Be Stateless- Every request should be an independent request.