The ASP. NET Web API is a framework that uses the HTTP services and makes it easy to provide the response to the client request. The response depends on the request of the clients. The Web API builds the HTTP services, and handles the request using the HTTP protocols. The request may be GET, POST, DELETE, PUT. We can also say that the ASP. NET Web API:
- Is an HTTP service.
- Is designed for reaching the broad range of clients.
- Uses the HTTP application.
- We use the ASP. NET Web API for creating the REST ful (Representational State Transfer) services.
The following are some important points of the ASP. NET Web API,
- The ASP. NET Web API supports the MVC application features that are controller, media formatters, routing etcetera.
- It is a platform for creating the REST services.
- It is a framework for creating the HTTP services.
- Responses can be formatted by the APIs MediaTypeFormatter into the Java Script Object Notation (JSON) and Extencible Markup Language (XML) formats.