Server Side Templating
- More search engine friendly.
- Entire response message can be cached.
- Harder to mix and match different server side technologies. For example, retrieve data from both Java and Ruby based services
- Harder to send content for multiple devices. E.g. browser, mobile devices, etc.
Client Side Templating
- Faster development and prototyping
- Serves JSON data to multiple devices.
- The responses are smaller as JSON data is less verbose.
- Templates and JSON data can be cached.
- Can work with multiple server side technologies like .Net, JEE, Ruby, etc
- Less search engine friendly
- Older browsers may not work properly
- Cross browser compatbility testing is required