The syntax of a Robots Meta tag is very simple:
<meta name=?robots? content=?instructions for crawler?>
In the syntax, you can add different values or parameters of robots meta tags as a placeholder as we have written: “instructions for the crawler” as a placeholder. Some commonly used values of robots meta tags include an index, follow, noindex, nofollow and more.
Schema markup, which is also known as structured data, is a code or microdata that you incorporate in your web pages to enable search engine better understand your pages and provide more relevant results to users. It helps search engines interpret and categorize information, which you want to highlight and to be presented as a rich snippet by the search engine.
The schema does not affect the crawling. It just changes the way the information is displayed and assigns a meaning to the content. So, it tells the search engine what your data means rather than just telling what it says.
HTTPS, which stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure), is a protocol for secure communication on the World Wide Web. It uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) to add an extra layer of security to the standard HTTP connection, i.e., it is a secure version of HTTP. It encrypts all data or communication between the server and the browser.
The websites which use HTTP protocol, the data is transmitted between the site server and the browser as plain text, so anyone who intercepts your connection can read this data. Earlier, only the websites that handle sensitive data like credit card information were using it, but now almost all sites prefer HTTPS over HTTP. An HTTPS connection provides the following benefits:
- Website Authentication
- Data Integrity
- Data Encryption
The referral traffic refers to the visitors that come to your site from the direct links on other websites rather than from the search engine. In simple words, the visits to your domain directly from other domains are called referral traffic. For example, a site that likes your page may post a link recommending your page. The visitor on this site may click on this link and visit your site.
You can also increase referral traffic by leaving links on other blogs, forums, etc. when you put a hyperlink of your page on other websites like forums users will click and visit your webpage. Google tracks such visits as referral visits or traffic. So, it is a Google’s way of reporting visits that come to your site from sources outside of search engine.
It is an American multinational company which specializes in Internet-based products and services. Its services include a search engine, online advertising, cloud computing, software and more.
Directory submission is an off-page SEO technique that helps improve the SEO of your site. It allows you to submit your site to a specific category of a web directory, e.g., if your website talks about heath, you are supposed to submit your site in the health category of a web directory.
You are required to follow the guidelines of a web directory before submitting your site. Some of the popular directory submission sites are www.dmoz.org and www.seofriendly.com and www.directorylisting.com.
A spider is a program used by search engines to index websites. It is also called a crawler or search engine robot. The main usage of search engine spiders is to index sites. It visits the websites and read their pages and creates entries for the search engine index. They act as data searching tools that visit websites to find new or updated content or pages and links.
Spiders do not monitor sites for unethical activities. They are called spiders as they visit many sites simultaneously, i.e., they keep spanning a large area of the web. All search engines use spiders to build and update their indexes.
404 error is an HTTP response status code which indicates that the requested page could not be found on the server. This error is generally displayed in the internet browser window just like web pages.
Page title, H1, Body text or content, Meta title, Meta description, Anchor links and Image Alt Tags are some of the most important areas where we can include our keywords for the SEO purpose.
Google algorithm is a set of rules, codes or commands that enables Google to return search results relevant to the queries made by the users. It is the Google’s algorithm that allows it to rank the websites on SERPs on the basis of quality and relevancy. The websites with quality content and relevant information tend to remain at the top of the SERPs.
So, Google is a search engine that is based on a dynamic set of codes called algorithm to provide the most appropriate and relevant search results based on users’ queries.
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is a process of increasing the number of visitors to a website. It enhances the visibility of a web page and increases the quantity and quality of traffic to a website so that it could appear at the top of search engine result pages.
It optimizes the websites for search engines and thus helps it achieve higher ranking in search engine result pages when users use keywords related to their products or services. Therefore, it improves the quality as well as the quantity of traffic to a website through organic search engine results.
We can check which pages of a website are indexed by Google in two different ways:
- The first method is to check the Google index status of the website through Google Webmaster tools. For this, you are required to add the website on the dashboard and verify the ownership then click on the tab “Index status”. The webmaster tool will display the number of pages indexed by the Google.
- The second method involves a manual search on Google. In this method, you are required to type on Google search bar site:domainname.com. The indexed pages would reflect on the SERP.
HTML is a case-insensitive language because uppercase or lowercase does not matter in this language and you can write your code in any case. However, HTML coding is generally written in lower case.
It is a computer program that is designed to serve or deliver the web pages to users in response to their queries or requests made by their computers or HTTP clients. In other words, it hosts websites on the internet. It uses HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) to serve pages to computers that are connected to it.
Google Sandbox is an imaginary area which contains new and less authoritative sites for a specified period until they cannot be displayed in the search results. It is an alleged filter for the new websites. In simple words, we can say that it places new websites on probation and ranks them lower than expected in searches. It may be caused by building too many links within a short period of time.
Any type of website can be placed in a sandbox. However, the new websites who want to rank for highly competitive keyword phrases are more prone to the sandbox. There is no fixed duration for a site to stay in the sandbox. Generally, a website can stay in the Sandbox for one to six months. The logic behind the sandbox is that new websites may be not as relevant as older sites.
CTR stands for Click through Rate. It is calculated by dividing the number of times a link appears on a search engine result page (impression) by the number of times it is clicked by users. For example, if you have 10 clicks and 100 impressions, your CTR would be 10%.
The higher the clicks, the higher will be the CTR. A high click-through rate is essential for a successful PPC, i.e., the success of a PPC depends on the CTR. Thus, it is an important metric in PPC ads which helps you gauge the results and tells how effective your campaigns are.
Keyword density refers to the percentage of occurrence of a keyword in a webpage out of all the words on that page. For example, if a keyword appears four times in an article of 100 words, the keyword density would be 4%. It is also known as keyword frequency as it talks about the frequency of occurrence of a keyword in a page. There is no ideal or exact keyword density for better ranking. However, the keyword density of 2 to 4 % is considered suitable for SEO.
LSI stands for Latent Semantic Indexing. It is a part of the Google’s algorithm which enables the search engine to understand the content of a page and the intent of the search queries. It identifies related words in content to better classify web pages and thus to deliver more relevant and accurate search results. It can understand synonyms and the relationship between words and thus can interpret web pages more deeply to provide relevant information to users. For example, if someone searches with a keyword “CAR,” it will show related things such as car models, car auctions, car race, car companies and more.
A service that provides space for websites or web pages on special computers called servers. A web hosting enables sites or web pages to be viewed on the internet by the internet users. When users type the website address (domain name) into their browser, their computers connect to the server, and your web pages are delivered to them through a browser.The websites are stored and hosted on special computers called servers. So, if you want users to see your website, you are required to publish it with a web hosting service. It is generally measured in terms of disc space you are allotted on the server and the bandwidth you require for accessing the server. While choosing a web hosting services one should evaluate the reliability and customer service of the service provider.
It is co-founded in 1998 by Larry Page, an American computer scientist and internet entrepreneur, and Sergey Brin who is also an American computer scientist and internet entrepreneur.
Submitting sites to a search directory is used to get backlinks to your website. It is one of the key methods to improve the SEO of a site. The more backlinks you get, the more is the probability that the search engine will index it sooner, compared to when it is not listed. Directory submission is mostly free.
You can also enter a site title, which is different from the URL, containing your keywords. In this way, you can generate anchor text for your site. Furthermore, most of the search directories are ranked higher in the search engine result pages so if you submit your site to such directories, there will be more chances of your website receiving high page rank.
If your website is banned by the search engines for using black hat practices and you have corrected the wrongdoings, you can apply for reinclusion. So, it is a process in which you ask the search engine to re-index your site that was penalized for using black hat SEO techniques. Google, Yahoo, and other search engines offer tools where webmasters can submit their site for reinclusion.
HTTP 404 error is technically a client-side error which means it is your mistake, i.e., the requested page is not present in your website. If you had maintained that page in your site, it would have been indexed by the crawler and thus would have been present in the server. Furthermore, you also receive this error, when you mistype a URL or when a webpage or resource is moved without redirecting the old URL to the new one. So, whenever you move your webpage redirect the old URL to the new URL to avoid this error as it may affect the SEO of your site.
A webmaster is a free service by Google which provides free Indexing data, backlinks information, crawl errors, search queries, CTR, website malware errors and submits the XML sitemap. It is a collection of SEO tools that allow you to control your site in Google as well as allows Google to communicate with webmasters. For example, if anything goes wrong like crawling mistakes, plenty of 404 pages, manual penalties, and malware identified, Google will speak to you through this tool. If you use GWT, you don’t need to use some other costlier tools. So, it is a free toolset that helps you understand what is going on with your site by providing useful information about your site.
Google Panda is a Google algorithm update. It was primarily introduced in 2011 to reward high-quality websites and diminish the low-quality websites in SERPs. It was initially called “Farmer.”
Panda addressed many issues in Google SERPs, such as:
- Thin Content
- Duplicate Content
- Low Authority
- Content Farming
- High ad-to-content ratio
- Low-quality user-generated content (UGC)
An internal link is a URL link placed on your website that points to your another webpage. It is different from an external link which leads to another website. Internal links are very useful regarding SEO as they:
- Provide site structure: The internal links of a website helps search engines to crawl and index your website. Search engine crawlers or robots use internal links to evaluate your website and are better informed while ranking your website on search engine result pages.
- Enhance user experience: The internal links in product pages, blog posts, contact us forms, etc., enhance users’ website experience. Furthermore, these links can be used to take prospects to your core pages to convert them into customers.
- Minimize bounce rate: The internal links keeps visitors on your website for longer and thus helps reduce bounce rate and increases the likelihood of them buying your products or services.
They are called SEO executives, Webmasters, Websites optimizers, Digital marketing experts, etc.
SEO executive: He is responsible for increasing the number of visitors or traffic to a website using various SEO tools and strategies.
SEO/SMO analyst: He is responsible for planning and implementing SEO and social media strategies for the clients. He is supposed to quickly understand and support initiatives to achieve the objectives and goals of the client campaigns.
Webmaster: He is responsible for maintaining one or more websites. He ensures that the web servers, software, and hardware are working smoothly.
Digital Marketing Expert: He is responsible for planning and executing digital marketing programs to promote the brand or increase the sales of the products and services of the clients.
PageRank is one of the important ranking factors that Google uses to rank the web pages on the basis of quality and quantity of links to the web pages. It determines a score of a webpage’s importance and authority on a scale of 0 to 10. A webpage with more backlinks will have a higher PageRank than a webpage that has fewer backlinks. It was invented by Google’s founders: Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
Note: At present, Google is not using PageRank as a ranking factor or to rank a webpage.
SEO: It is a process of increasing the online visibility, organic (free) traffic or visitors to a website. It is all about optimizing your website to achieve higher rankings in the search result pages. It is a part of SEM, and it gives you only the organic traffic.
- On-Page SEO: It deals with the optimization of a website for maximum visibility in the search engines.
- Off-Page SEO: It deals with gaining natural backlinks from other websites.
SEM: It stands for search engine marketing. It involves purchasing space on the search engine result page. It goes beyond SEO and involves various methods that can get you more traffic like PPC advertising. It is a part of your overall internet marketing strategy. The traffic generated through SEM is considered the most important as it is targeted.
SEM includes both SEO and paid search. It generally makes use of paid searches such as pay per click (PPC) listings and advertisements. Search ad networks generally follow pay-per-click (PPC) payment structure. It means you only pay when a visitor clicks on your advertisement.
Google My Business is a free tool of Google which is designed to help you create and manage their business listings on SERPs, i.e., to manage your online presence on Google. Using this tool, you can easily create and update your business listings such as you can:
- Update business name, address and hours
- Upload your business’s images
- Manage and reply to customer reviews
- Get custom insights like how customers are responding to your business online
- Get notifications when customers talk about your business
- Can manage multiple locations from one dashboard
- Can invite others to manage your business listings
PPC stands for pay-per-click. It is a type of search engine marketing in which you have to pay a fee each time your advertisement is clicked by an online user. Search engines like Google, Bing, etc., offer pay-per-click advertising on auction basis where the highest bidder gets the most prominent advertising space on the SERPs so that it gets a maximum number of clicks.
Keyword stuffing refers to increasing the keyword density beyond a certain level to achieve higher ranking in the SERPs. As we know, web crawlers analyze keywords to index the web pages, so some SEO practitioners exploit this feature of the search engine by increasing the keywords in a page. This way of improving the ranking is against the guidelines of Google, so it is considered a black hat SEO technique, and it should be avoided.
A search engine is a web-based software program that is developed to search and find information on the World Wide Web. It enables internet users to search the information via the World Wide Web (WWW). The user is required to enter keywords or phrases into the search engines and then search engine searches websites, web pages or documents containing the similar keywords and presents a list of web pages with same keywords in the search engine result pages.
We can say that it generally answers the queries entered by the users in the form of a list of search results. So, it is a web-based tool that enables us to find information on the World Wide Web. Some of the popular search engines are Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
Search engine submission is an off page SEO technique. In this technique, a website is directly submitted to the search engine for indexing and thus to increase its online recognition and visibility. It is an initial step to promote a website and get search engine traffic. A website can be submitted in two ways: one page at a time or the entire site at a time using a webmaster tool.
Robots.txt is a text file that gives instructions to the search engine crawlers about the indexing of a webpage, domain, directory or a file of a website. It is generally used to tell spiders about the pages that you don’t want to be crawled. It is not mandatory for search engines, yet search engine spiders follow the instructions of the robots.txt.
The location of this file is very significant. It must be located in the main directory otherwise the spiders will not be able to find it as they do not search the whole site for a file named robots.txt. They only check the main directory for these files, and if they don’t find the files in the main directory, they assume that the site does not have any robots.txt file and index the whole site.
The “503 Service Unavailable” error is an HTTP status code which indicates the server is not available right now to handle the request. It often occurs when the server is too busy or when maintenance is performed on it. Generally, it is a temporary state which is resolved shortly.
Many search engines use programs called spiders to index websites. The spiders are also known as crawlers or robots. They act as automatic date searching tools that visit every site to find new or updated web pages and links. This process is called web crawling. Spiders follow hyperlinks and gather textual and meta information for the search engine databases. They collect as much information as they can before relaying to the server of the search engine.
Spiders may also rate the content being indexed to help the search engine determine relevancy levels to a search. They are called spiders as they visit many sites simultaneously, i.e. their legs keep spanning a large area of the web. All search engines use spiders to revise and build their indexes.
Mobilegeddon is a search engine ranking algorithm introduced by Google on 21 April 2015. It was designed to promote mobile-friendly pages in Google’s mobile search results. It ranks the websites based on their mobile friendliness, i.e., the mobile-friendly sites are ranked higher than the sites that are not mobile friendly. After this algorithm update, mobile friendliness has become an important factor in ranking the websites in the SERPs.
The backlinks are an indication of the popularity of a website. They are important for SEO as most of the search engines like Google give more value to websites that have a large number of quality backlinks, i.e., a site with more backlinks is considered more relevant than a site with fewer backlinks.
The backlinks should be relevant which means they should come from the sites that have content related to your site or pages otherwise the links if they are coming from sites that have different content, will be treated as irrelevant backlinks by the Search Engine. For example, there is a website about how to rescue orphaned dogs, and it receives a backlink from a website about dog care essentials then this would be a relevant backlink in a search engine assessment than a like from site about automobiles.
Google webmaster tools, Google Analytics, Open site explorer, Alexa, Website grader are some of the free and basic tools which are commonly used for SEO. However, there are also many paid tools like Seo Moz, spydermate, bulkdachecker, readily available in the market.
Google webmaster tools: It is one of the most useful SEO tools. It is designed for the webmasters. It helps webmasters communicate with Google and evaluate and maintain their website’s performance in search engine results. Using webmaster, one can identify the issues related to a website such as crawling errors, malware issues, etc. It is a free service offered by Google, anyone who has a site can use it.
Google analytics: It is a free Web analytics service offered by Google. It is designed to provide analytical and statistical tools for SEO and digital marketing. It enables you to analyze website traffic and other activities that take place on your website. Anyone who has a Google account can use this service.
Open site explorer: It is a Mozscape index-powered workhorse which is designed to research backlinks, find link-building opportunities and find out links that may impact rank badly.
Alexa: It is a global ranking system that compiles a list of most popular websites based on the web traffic data and accordingly provides Alexa Rank to a website. The lower the Alexa rank, the more popular a website, e.g., a site with rank 150 will have more visitors than a site with rank 160.
Website grader: It is a free online tool designed to grade a website against some critical metrics like performance, SEO, security and mobile readiness.
Some Paid SEO Tools:
SEOMoz: It is a premium SEO web application designed for SEO. It provides analytics and insights to improve your search engine rankings. It is a collection of various SEO tools that cover all vital areas of SEO.
Spyder Mate: This software allows you to improve the ranking of your website as well as offers various methods to promote a website. It enables you to manage your web portal to attract more and more traffic to your site.
Bulkdachecker: It is used to check the Domain Authority of Multiple Websites simultaneously.
The Page rank of your page indicates the performance of your page. The page rank of a page depends on many factors such as quality of content, SEO, backlinks and more. So, to increase the page rank of a website you have to focus on multiple factors, e.g., you have to provide unique and original content, build more backlinks from authority sites and web pages with high page rank and more.
- Google webmaster tools: Google webmaster tool is a free SEO tool offered by Google. It is a set of SEO tools that allow you to control your website. It informs you if anything goes wrong with your website like crawling mistakes, plenty of 404 pages, malware issues, manual penalties, etc. In other words, Google communicates with webmasters through this tool. You also do not need to use most of the expensive SEO tools if you are using this tool.
- Google Analytics: It is a freemium web analytics service offered by Google. It provides the detailed statistics of the website traffic. It was introduced in November 2005 to track and report website traffic. It is a set of statistics and analytical tools that monitor the performance of your site. It tells you about your visitors and their activities, dwell-time metrics, search terms or incoming keywords and more.
- Open site explorer: This tool provides stats such as overall link counts and the count of domains that are linked to a URL including the anchor text distribution.
- Alexa: It is a ranking system that ranks the websites by web traffic data. The lower the Alexa rank, the more will be the traffic.
- Website grader: It is a free SEO tool that grades the websites on some key metrics such as security, mobile readiness, performance, and SEO.
- Google Keyword Planner: This tool of Google comes with many features. It gives you an estimation of traffic for your target keywords and suggests keywords with high traffic. Thus, you can shortlist the relevant keywords from the list of keywords offered by this tool.
- Plagiarism Checker: There are various tools to check the plagiarized content such as smallseotools.com, plagiarisma.net and more. Using these tools, you can avoid duplicate content and upload the unique or original content on your site.
An SEO audit refers to a process that evaluates the search engine friendliness of a website. It grades a site for its ability to appear in SERPs, i.e., it is like a report card for your site’s SEO.
It helps you find issues with your site. You can resolve these issues to boost the ranking of your page or increase your sale. Furthermore, by doing SEO audit, you can do the following
Some SEO audit tools:
- Raven Tools
- Website Grader
Alexa.com is a website and a subsidiary company of Amazon.com that provides a wide range of services out of which one is Alexa rank. This rank is a metric that ranks websites in a particular order on the basis of their popularity and website traffic in the last three months.
Alexa generally considers the unique daily visitors and average page views over a period of 3 months to calculate the Alexa rank for a website. Alexa rank is updated daily. The lower the Alexa rank, the more popular a site will be. An increase or decrease in the rank shows how your SEO campaigns are doing.
It is a black hat SEO technique to improve the SEO of a website. In this technique, the SEO practitioners rewrite a single article to produce its multiple copies in such a way that each copy is treated as a new article. These articles have low quality, repetitive content. Such articles are frequently uploaded to the site to create the illusion of fresh articles.
The title tag should be between 66-70 characters as the Google generally displays the first 50to 60 characters of the title tag. So, if your title is under 60 characters, there are more chances that your title is displayed properly. Similarly, the Meta description tag should be between 160-170 characters as the search engines tend to truncate descriptions longer than 160 characters.
Google has many factors in its algorithm to rank the websites in SERPs. Using its algorithm, it finds the relevant results for the users’ queries.
Google keeps updating its ranking factors to give users the best experience and to put a check on black hat SEO techniques. So, Google displays results on the basis of ranking factors such as content, backlinks and mobile optimization.
The anchor tag is used to make click-able text written on a hyperlink, i.e., it is a clickable text in a hyperlink. It enhances the user experience as it takes the users directly to a specific area of a webpage. They are not required to scroll down the information to find a particular section. So, it is a way to improve navigation.
It also enables webmasters to keep things in order as there is no need of creating different web pages or splitting up a document. Google also sends users to a specific part of your page using this tag. You can attach anchor tag to a word or a phrase. It takes the reader down to a different section of the page instead of another page. When you use this tag, you create a unique URL on the same page.
Press release submission is an off page SEO technique in which you write press releases and submit them to popular PR sites for building backlinks or to increase the online visibility of a website.
A press release generally contains information about events, new products or services of the company. It should be keyword-optimized, factual and informative so that it could engage the readers.
Keyword proximity refers to the distance between the keywords, i.e., it tells how close keywords are to each other in a phrase or body of text. It is used to measure the distance between two keywords in the text. It is used by some search engines to measure the relevancy of a given page to the search request. It specifies that the closer the two keywords in a phrase or a search term, the more relevant will be the phrase. For example, see the keywords “Delhi Digital Photographer” in the search term “Delhi Photographer Ram Kumar specialized in digital photography.” The proximity between Delhi and Photographer is excellent, but between the “Photographer” and “digital” proximity is not good as there are four words between them. So, a search term’s keywords should be as close to each other as possible.
The “500 internal server error” is a common error. It is an HTTP status code that indicates something is wrong with the websites’ server, and the server is not able to identify the problem. This error is not specific as it can occur for different reasons. It is a server-side error which means the problem is with the website’s server, not with your PC, browser or Internet connection.
Meta tags are the HTML tags that are used to provide information about the content of a webpage. They are the basic elements of SEO. Meta tags are incorporated in the “head” section of HTML, e.g.Meta tags are placed here.
The Meta tags are of three types. Each tag provides specific information about the content of the page. For example:<head>Meta tags are placed here</head>.
- Title Tag: It is the most important of all the Meta tags. It tells search engines about the title your webpage, and it is displayed in search engine listings above the URL of your webpage or website. For example:<title>Title text</title>
- Description Meta tag: The summary of your site or webpage is incorporated in this tag. It enables the search engine to display a brief description of your page in the SERPs. Through this tag, you tell users what your site is all about and what you are offering. For example: <meta name=”description” content = “your site’s summary”/>
- Keywords Meta tag: In this tag, you place all of your main keywords and phrases that describe the content of your webpage. For example:<meta name=”keywords” content=”keywords”/>
An inbound link, which is also known as a backlink, is the incoming link to your site from an external source. It comes from an external site to your site. Whereas, outbound link is a link that starts from your site and points to another website. For example, if xyz.com links to your domain, this link from xyz.com is an inbound or backlink for your domain. However, it is an outbound link for xyz.com.
Main aspects of On page SEO are:
- Page Title: It should be relevant, unique and should include your main keywords.
Meta Descriptions: There should be a Meta description for each webpage, and it must contain relevant keywords for your content.
- Meta Tags: You can add a set of keywords as Meta tags for each of your page.
- URL Structure: You can include search engine friendly URLs for your webpage as it improves crawling. In SEO, shorter URLs containing targeted keywords usually perform better.
- Body Tags (H1, H2, H3, H4, etc.): You can use body tags to break up your content into paragraphs to make it easier to read.
- Keyword Density: You should include relevant keywords in your content but avoid excessively repeating or overusing keywords.
- Image: You can use relevant images within your content to make your page visually more appealing and thus can improve the SEO of your site.
- Internal Linking: You can place links to your other web pages to enhance your website. It enhances navigation and crawling.
Off page SEO: It means optimizing your websites through backlinks, social media promotion, blog submission, press releases submission, etc.
Main aspects of Off page SEO are:
- Social Networking Sites: There are many social networking sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc., where you can create your business page and perform similar tasks to improve the SEO of your site.
- Blogging: You can write a blog for your website, product or service and submit it to niche blog directories, and blog search engines.
- Forum Marketing: You can find online forums related to your site and interact with them by replying to threads, answering questions, offering advice and more.
- Social Bookmarking: You can submit your blog posts and pages to the relevant and popular bookmarking sites like Digg, Delicious, Reddit, etc.
- Link building: You can build external links to your site to bypass your competitors and improve your rank.
- Press Release Submission: You can distribute your press release across various media to get authority backlinks and convey information to the public. It can bring your site on the first page for your keywords.
The Domain Authority is a metric introduced by Moz. It is designed to rank a website on a scale of 1-100. The score “1” is considered the worst and the score “100” is considered the best. The higher the score or DA, the higher will be the ability to rank on search engine result pages. So, it is an important factor that defines how well your website will rank in search engines.
The Disavow tool is a part of Google Search Console that was introduced in October 2012. It enables you to discount the value of a backlink in order to prevent link-based penalties. It also protects the site from bad links that may harm the website’s reputation.
Using this tool, you can tell Google that you don’t want certain links to be considered to rank websites. Some sites who buy links may suffer the penalty if they don’t get these links removed using Disavow tool. The low-quality backlinks, which you don’t control, may harm your site’s ranking. You can ask Google not to consider them when crawling and indexing your site.
AMP, which stands for Accelerated Mobile Pages, is an open source project that helps publishers to improve the speed and readability of their pages on mobile devices. It makes mobile pages easily readable and loading quicker for better user experience. This project was introduced jointly by Google, WordPress, Adobe and some other companies in 2015.
A Google penalty refers to the negative impact on the search rankings of a website. It can be automatic or manual, i.e., it may be due to an algorithm update or for using black hat SEO to improve the SEO of a site. If the penalty is manual, Google informs you about it through webmaster tool. However, if the penalty is automatic such as due to the algorithm you may not be informed. Google generally imposes the penalty in three different ways: Bans, Rank Demotion, and Temporary Rank Change
RankBrain is Google’s machine-learning artificial intelligence system designed to help Google to process search results and deliver more relevant information to users. It is a part of the Google’s Hummingbird search algorithm. It can learn and recognize new patterns and then revisit SERPs to provide more relevant information.
It has the ability to embed the written language into mathematical entities called vectors that Google can understand. For example, if it does not understand a sentence, it can guess its meaning with similar words or sentences and filter the information accordingly to provide accurate and relevant results to users.
We should follow the following instructions to decrease the loading time of a website:
- Optimize images: You can optimize images and decrease the file size without affecting the quality of that image. You can use the external picture tools to resize your images such as the Photoshop, picresize.com and more. Furthermore, use fewer images (avoid them unless necessary).
- Use browser caching: Caching involves temporary storages of web pages that helps reduce bandwidth and improve performance. When a visitor visits your site, the cached version is presented that saves the server’s time and loads pages faster. So, use browser caching to make the process easier and faster for your repeat visitors.
- Use content delivery network: It allows you to distribute your site across several servers in different geographical areas. When visitors request to visit your site, they will get the data from the server closest to them. The closer a server, the more quickly it loads.
- Avoid self-hosted videos: Video files are usually large, so if you upload them to your web pages it can increase their loading time. You can use other video services like Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
- Use CSS sprites to reduce HTTP request: It allows you to combine some images within a single image file by implementing CSS positioning of background. It helps you to save your server bandwidth and thus loading time of the webpage decreases gradually.
A sitemap refers to the map of a website. It is the detailed structure of a site that includes different sections of your site with internal links.
- Keyword Stuffing: The search engines study the keywords included in a webpage to index the webpage or a site. So, some people increase the keyword density in their web pages to get a higher ranking. Keywords should be 2 to 4 % of the total world count, increasing keyword density beyond this is known as black hat SEO as it is against the SEO guidelines of Google.
- Cloaking: In this technique, the web pages are coded are in such a way that visitors see different content in a webpage and search engines see different content on the same webpage. Increasing ranking in this way is also against the guidelines of search engine.
- Doorway pages: These pages are rich in keywords and do not have quality content and relevant information. They redirect users to a different page to increase the ranking of that page. It is also against the guidelines of Google.
- Hidden Text: It is the text that can be viewed by the search engine, but visitors cannot view. It is used to include irrelevant keywords and hide text or links to increase the keyword density and improve the internal link structure.
- Article Spinning: It refers to rewriting an article multiple times to produce its different copies in such a way that each copy looks different from other copies and is treated as a new article.
- Duplicate Content: It is the content that is copied from one site and uploaded to another site. It is known as plagiarism.
Forum posting is an off page SEO technique. It involves generating quality backlinks by participating in online discussion forums of forum websites. In a forum posting, you can post a new thread as well as reply to old threads in forums to get quality backlinks to your site. Some of the popular forum websites are message boards, discussion groups, discussion forums, bulletin boards and more. So, forum websites are online discussion sites that allow you to participate in online discussion and interact with new users to promote your websites, web pages and more.
URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator (URL). It is the web address of an online resource like a website, webpage or a document on the internet. It tells the location and name of the resource as well as the protocol used to access it, i.e., it locates an existing resource on the internet. A URL may contain as many as six parts, and cannot have less than two parts. For example, http://www.example.com, in this URL we have two parts: a protocol (http) and a domain (www.example.com).
A URL for HTTP or HTTPS generally comprises three or four components, such as:
- Protocol: It is used to access the resource on the internet. It can be HTTP, without SSL or HTTPS with SSL. It is connected to the domain name, and the domain name is further connected to the file path.
- Domain name: It is a unique name that identifies a website on the internet. For example, “javatpoint.com”. It always includes a top-level domain (TLD) which is “.com” in this example.
- Port: It is a port number, which is usually not visible in a URL, but it is always required. When visible, it comes after the TLD, separated by a colon.
- Path: It is a file or directory on the web server, e.g. “/seo-interview-question” in the URL https://www.javatpoint.com/seo-interview-questionsis a path.
Image Alt text is a feature which is added to an image tag in HTML. It appears in the blank image box when the image is not displayed due to slow connection, broken URL or any other reason.
It provides information about the image to the search engines as they cannot see or interpret images. Thus, it enables you to optimize images or improve the SEO of your site.
A title tag is an HTML element that is used to specify the title of a page. It is displayed on search engine result pages as a clickable heading just above the URL and at the top of the browser.
In SEO, the title tag is significant. It is highly recommended to include a unique and relevant title that correctly describes the content of a webpage or a website. Thus, it tells the users and search engines about the nature or type of information contained in your webpage.
An ideal title should be between 50 and 60 characters long. You can also place your primary keywords at the start of your title and put the least important keywords at the end. It is the first thing that a search engine analyzes before ranking your webpage.
The World Wide Web is a like a huge book whose pages are located on multiple servers present throughout the world. These web pages contain information and are connected by links called “hypertext.” In a book, we move from one page to another in a sequence, but in World Wide Web, we have to follow hypertext links to visit the desired page.
So, it is a network of internet servers containing information in the form of web pages, audios, videos, etc. These web pages are formatted in HTML and accessed via HTTP.
World Wide Web was designed by Tim Berners-Lee in 1991. It is different from the internet which is a network connection used to access the World Wide Web.
In On Page SEO, optimization is done on the website that involves making changes in the title tag, meta tags, site structure, site content, solving canonicalization problem, managing robots.txt, etc. Whereas, in off page SEO, the primary focus is on building backlinks and social media promotion.
On page SEO techniques:
It mainly involves optimizing the page elements such as:
- Page Title
- Page description
- Canonical URL
- Open Graph Tags
- Page Headers and Sub-Headers
- Paragraph Text
- Alt Image Tags
- Internal and External Links
Off page SEO techniques:
It mainly focuses on the following methods:
- Link Building
- Social Media
- Press Release Submission
A blog is an information on the website that is regularly updated. Blogs are usually written by an individual or a small group of people. It is written in an informal or conversational style.
It is like an online diary or a book located on a website. The content of a blog generally includes text, pictures, videos, etc. A blog may be written for personal use or sharing information with a specific group or to engage the public. Furthermore, the bloggers can set their blogs for private or public access.
Robot Meta tag is used to give instructions to the web spiders. It tells the search engine how to treat the content of a page. It is a piece of code which is incorporated in the “head” section of a webpage.
Some of the main robots Meta tag values or parameters are as follows:
- FOLLOW: This tag instructs the crawler to follow the links on the page.
- NOFOLLOW: This tag instructs the crawler not to follow the links on the page.
- INDEX: This tag instructs the crawler to index the page.
- NOINDEX: This tag is used to instruct the search engine crawler not to index the page.
There are plenty of ways to optimize your content or site for Google’s rich answer box. Some of the commonly used methods are as follows:
- Identify complex queries and questions: The answers to simple questions are available in abundance across the SERPs. So, find out complex queries related to your niche by using keywords tools such as Google AdWords, SEMRush and Wordstream and write content that specifically answers these questions.
- Engage readers: Your one answer should be suitable for all similar questions. Furthermore, customize your content to suit beginners in your field and use graphs, tables, and step-by-step answer formats to engage the readers.
- Provide Supplemental Information: The users tend to read or follow related questions, so you can answers some similar questions down the page as supplemental information.
- Enhance User Experience: Keep your website well structured and formatted and optimized for mobiles to improve your users’ website experience.
- Select User Searched Topics: Choose topics that are highly searched by users then accordingly provide information about these topics.
- Create Quality Content: Do market research to understand your audience and make a list of questions mostly asked by them and then accordingly create unique and quality content.
- Implement Schema Markup Code: This code allows Google to identify semantic contents in the source code of your site so that it could separate information from your page and use it in the Answer Box.
Google Sitelinks are little sub-listings that generally appear under some search results in a SERP. Google adds Sitelinks only if it thinks they are useful for the user otherwise it will not show any Sitelinks. It uses its automated algorithms to shortlist and display Sitelinks. The four links under flipkart.com, in the image given below, are known as “Sitelinks.”
There are several Off page SEO techniques such as:
- Directory Submission: You can submit your site to a particular category of a web directory, e.g., if you are offering online tutorials, you should submit your site to the education category of a web directory. It will help you build more backlinks.
- Social Bookmarking: It enables you to store your links on bookmarking sites. These links serve as backlinks and thus helps improve the SEO of your website.
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Submission: It allows you to submit RSS feeds to RSS submission directory sites to improve SEO of your site.
- Article Posting: It enables you to submit articles to popular article submission directories. It gives you backlinks and improves the page-rank of your website or blog. You are required to submit articles in relevant categories for better results.
- Blog Posting: It allows you to post blogs and thus you can offer fresh content to your users on a regular basis. Blogs help convert prospects into actual customers.
- Press Release Submission: You can write a press release about new events, products, and services of your company and submit it to PR sites.
- Forum Posting: It enables you to build quality inbound links by participating in online discussion forums.
Some of the most used social media channels are:
Blogging Platforms: Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr , Medium, Ghost, Squarespace, etc.
Social bookmarking sites: Digg, Jumptags, Delicious, Dribble, Pocket, Reddit, Slashdot, StumbleUpon, etc.,
Social networking sites: Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+, Skype, Viber, Snapchat, Pinterest, Telegram, etc.
Video Sharing sites: YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix, Metacafe, Liveleak, Ustream, etc.
Webmaster tool should be preferred over Analytics tool because it includes almost all essential tools as well as some analytics data for the search engine optimization. But now due to the inclusion of webmaster data in Analytics, we would like to have access to Analytics.
301 redirecting is a method of redirecting users and search engines from the old page URL to a new page URL. The 301 redirect is used to pass the link traffic from the old URL to the new URL. It is a permanent redirect from one URL to another site without typing the URL of the new site. It helps you maintain the domain authority and search rankings when the URL of a site is changed for any reason.Furthermore, it allows you to associate common web conventions with one URL to improve the domain authority; to rename or rebrand a site with a new URL; to direct traffic to a new website from other URLs of the same organization. So, you must set up a 301 redirect before moving to a new domain.
- A website made on flash. or
- A website made on HTML 5.
The content presented in a flash website is hard to parse by search engines, so, it is always preferred to build a website in HTML for better SEO prospective.
SS feed submission is an off page SEO technique. It refers to the submission of RSS feeds to RSS submission directory sites to improve the SEO of your site. RSS stands for Rich Site Summary and is also known as Really Simple Syndication.
An RSS feed generally contains updated web pages, videos, images, links and more. It is a format to deliver frequently changing web content. The users who find these updates interesting can subscribe your RSS feed to receive timely updates from their favorite websites. Thus, it helps increase traffic to your website.
A TLD is the last part of an Internet address. For example, in xyz.com the TLD is .com.
Google analytics is a freemium web analytics service of Google that provides you the detailed statistics of the website traffic. It was introduced in November 2005 to track and report the website traffic. It offers you free tools to understand and analyze your customers and business in one place.
It mainly comprises statistics and basic analytical tools capable of monitoring the performance of your site. It tells you various important things about your website like your visitors, their activity, dwell time metrics, incoming keywords or search-terms, etc.
Thus, it helps you take the necessary steps to improve the SEO of your site and online marketing strategies. Anyone with a Google account can use this tool.
The reports generated by Google analytics can be divided into four different types of analysis which are as follows;
- Audience Analysis
- Acquisition Analysis
- Behavior Analysis
- Conversion Analysis
Audience Analysis: It gives you an overview of your visitors. Some of the key benefits of this analysis are as follows;
- It tells you the age, race, gender of your visitors.
- You can find the location and language of visitors.
- You can identify the new visitors and returning visitors.
- You can identify browsers, operating system and the network of visitors.
- You can see Visitors’ activity; the path they follow on your website.
Acquisition Analysis: It helps you to identify the sources from where your website traffic comes. Some key benefits of this analysis are as follows;
- You can track traffic from a paid search such as AdWords.
- You can capture traffic from all channels including referrals.
- You can track social media traffic, hub activity and can follow-up bookmarking sites.
- You can identify from which plug-ins you are getting traffic.
- You can analyze and manage your campaigns.
Behavior Analysis: It helps you monitor users’ behavior. It offers you the following benefits;
- You can generate a content drilldown report which will give you a crucial perspective on site usage and information about landing and exit pages.
- You can measure page timings and user timings which will suggest you the ideal site speed.
- You will know how the users move across your site, what they normally search before arriving at a landing page.
Conversion Analysis: Website conversion analysis is an important part of the SEO process. Every website has a particular goal such as to generate leads, to sell products or services, to increase targeted traffic. When the goal is achieved, it is known as conversion. Some major benefits of this analysis are as follow;
- It enables you to track conversions such as download, check out, buy, etc.
- You will know which of your products the users buy the most.
- You can generate multi-channel funnel reports from conversion paths.
- You can identify which module, platform, and strategy are best for your business.
No, Google does not use the keyword meta tags in web search rankings. It is believed that Google ignores the meta tags keywords due to their misuse.
A website is a collection of interlinked web pages or formatted documents that share a single domain and can be accessed over the internet. It may contain only one page or tens of thousands of pages and can be created by an individual, group, or an organization, etc. It is identified by a domain name or web address. For example, when you type the web address over the internet, you will arrive at the home page of that website.