A new programming language is used in power query that’s called M-Code. It is very easy to use and similar to other languages. M-code is a case sensitive language.
SSBI refers to self-service Business Intelligence.
- SSBI is an approach to the data analytics which enables business users to segment, filter, and analyzes the data.
- SSBI has made easier access the data to the end-users and create various visuals to get better business insights.
DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) is a formula expression language. It can be used in different BI and visualization tools. DAX is also known as function language in which the full code is kept inside a function.
- DAX works on column values.
- DAX cannot insert or modify the data.
- We can create a calculated column and measures with DAX, but we cannot calculate rows using DAX.
Power BI offers distinct kinds of features to help get started in searching for data in a completely new way.
And Power BI Pro comes with some additional features like scheduling data, storage capacity, live data sources, along with complete interactivity and much more.
Power Map is an Excel add-in which provides a powerful set of tools to help you in visualize and gain insight into large sets of data that have a geo-coded component. It can produce 3D visualizations by plotting up to a million data points in the form of column, heat, and bubble maps on top of a Bing map. If the data is time-stamped, it can also produce interactive views that display how the data changes over space and time.
Power BI is a Data Visualization, and Business Intelligence tool which helps to converts data from different data sources into interactive dashboards and BI reports. It provides interactive visualizations of the data with self-service business intelligence capabilities where the end users can create reports and dashboards by themselves, without having to depend on information technology staff or database administrators.
Here are some benefits of using variables in DAX:
- By declaring and evaluating the variable, a variable can be reused multiple times in the DAX expression so that we can avoid additional queries of the source database.
- Variables can make DAX expressions more logical to interpret.
- Variables are only used to their measure or query; they cannot be shared among measures, queries, or cannot be defined at the model level.
Content packs for services are pre-built solutions for popular services as part of the Power BI experience.
The subscriber to a supported service can connect to their account quickly from Power BI. You can see their data through live dashboards and interactive reports which have pre-built for them.
Microsoft released content packs for popular services such as Adobe Analytics, Salesforce.com, Marketo, CircuitID, Azure Mobile Engagement, comScore Digital Analytix, SQL Sentry, Quickbooks Online, and tyGraph.
Power Pivot is an add-in for Microsoft Excel 2010 which enables to import millions of rows of data from multiple data sources into a single Excel workbook.
It allows to create relationships between heterogeneous data, creates calculated columns and measures using formulas, builds PivotTables, and PivotCharts. Then you can analyze the data so that you can make timely business decisions without requiring IT assistance.
No, Power BI is not available as a private and internal cloud service. But, with Power BI and Power BI Desktop, you can connect to your own on-premises data sources securely. With the On-premises Data Gateway, you can connect live to your on-premises SQL Server Analysis Services and other data sources. Also, You can schedule refresh with a centralized gateway. If a gateway is not available, then you can refresh data from on-premises data sources using the Power BI Gateway – Personal.
Power BI Desktop is a free desktop application which can be installed on your computers. Power BI Desktop works with the Power BI service by providing advanced data exploration, shaping, modeling, and creating a report with highly interactive visualizations. You can save the work to a file or publish your data and reports right to the Power BI site to share with others.
Power Pivot data table is a model which is made up of tables, data types, columns, and table relations. These data tables are constructed for holding the data for a business entity.
Power BI applies the row-level security role to models:
- A DAX expression is used on a table, filtering its rows at the query time.
- Dynamic security involves the use of USERNAME functions in security role definitions.
- A table is created in the model which relates users to specific dimensions and a role.
- Power Pivot: Power pivot is used in data modeling for in-memory analytics and loads on the Power Query.
- Power Query: It is used to access, search, and transform public and internal data sources.
- Power View: By using the power view, you can analyze, visualize, and display the data as an interactive data visualization.
- Power Map: It brings the data to life with interactive geographical visualization.
- Power Q&A: You can ask any questions and get an immediate response with the natural language query.
Power query is an ETL tool which is used to shape, clean, and transform data using intuitive interfaces without having to use coding. It helps the user to:
- Import the data from a wide range of sources from files, big data, databases, and social media data, etc.
- Join and append the data from multiple data sources.
- Shape the data as per requirement by adding and removing the data.
You can use Power BI publisher for Excel to pivot tables, pin ranges, and charts to Power BI.
- The user manages the tiles such as remove them, refresh them, in Excel.
- Pinned items must be removed from the dashboard in the service (removing in Excel only deletes the connection).
- The Power BI Publisher for Excel is also used to connect from Excel to datasets which are hosted in the Power BI Service.
- An Excel pivot table is generated with a connection (ODC file) to the data in Azure.
The Publisher installs all necessary drivers on the local machine to establish connectivity.
- It allows us to transform data into visuals.
- It allows us to explore and analyze the data from all sources.
- It allows us to scale across organizations with built-in governance and security.
- Once an output is generated, users can display the same on multiple devices that are compatible with the Power BI application.
- With Power BI natural language processing or Power BI Q&A, users can perform queries on reports using simple English words.
Query folding is when steps defined in Power Query or Query Editor are translated into SQL and executed by the source database rather than the client machine. It is important to processing performance and scalability, given limited resources on the client machine.
Dataset: The source is used to create reports and tiles or visuals.
- A data model (local to PBIX or XLSX) in an Analysis Services Server
- Data could be inside of model or a Direct Query connection to a source.
Report: An individual Power BI Desktop file (PBIX) containing one or more report pages.
- It is built for deep, interactive analysis experience for a given dataset (filters, formatting).
- Each Report is connected to at least one dataset
- Each page is containing one or more visuals or tiles.
Dashboard: A collection of visuals from different reports and, optionally, a pinned.
- It is built to aggregate primary visuals and metrics from multiple datasets.
Power BI brings a lot of flexibility when it comes to data reporting and visualization. That?s why Power BI has been divided into three versions.
- Power BI Desktop: This is the on-premise for window 10.
- Power BI Service: This is for publishing to the cloud.
- Mobile Power BI: This is for mobile users.