Following are some useful prerequisites for DevOps implementation:
- Proper communication between the team members.
- At least one version control software.
- Automated testing.
- Automated deployment.
Automation is the crucial need for DevOps practices, and automate everything is the fundamental principle of DevOps. Automation kick starts from the code generation on the developer’s machine, until the code is pushed to the code, to monitor the application and system in the production.
Automation in DevOps boosts speed, consistency, higher accuracy, reliability, and increases the number of deliveries.
It is a system that records the changes to a file or set of files over time so you can recall specific versions.
The version control system consists of a central shared repository where teammates can commit the changes to a file or set of files. It allows:
- To revert the file to the previous state.
- To compare changes over time.
- To revert the entire project to a previous state.
- To see who modified something in the files.
- The code for infrastructure will be in a simple JSON format.
- This JSON code will be organized into files called templates.
- These templates can be deployed on AWS DevOps and then managed as stacks.
- Later the CloudFormation service will do the Creating, deleting, updating, etc. operation in the stack.
The two-factor authentication is a security method in which the user provides two ways of identification from separate categories.
The core operation of DevOps with application development and infrastructure are:
- Code building
- Code coverage
- Unit testing
A pipeline in software engineering team is a set of automated processes which allows DevOps professionals and developer to reliably and efficiently compile, build, and deploy their code to their production compute platforms.
Both Python and Ruby scripting tools are used in the DevOps.
Git Bisect helps to find the commit which introduced a bug using binary search.
PTR is a pointer record that is used for a reverse DNS lookup.
Some most essential network monitoring tools are:
- Icinga 2
The most important key components of DevOps are:
- Continuous integration
- Continuous testing
- Continuous delivery
- Continuous mongering
Azure DevOps is also known as Microsoft visual studio team services (VSTS). It is a set of collaborative development tools built for the cloud. VSTS was commonly used as a standalone term, and Azure DevOps is a platform which is made up of a few different products, such as:
- Azure Test Plans
- Azure Boards
- Azure Repos
- Azure Pipeline
- Azure Artifacts
AWS is a cloud-based service provided by Amazon that ensures scalability through unlimited computing power and storage. It empowers IT enterprises to develop and deliver experienced products and deploy applications on the cloud.
The DevOps is a combination of two words one is software Development, and second is Operations. It allows a single team to handle the entire application lifecycle, from development to testing, deployment, and operations. DevOps helps you to reduce the disconnection between software developers, quality assurance (QA) engineers, and system administrators.
Three most important DevOps KPIs are:
- Deployment frequency
- Percentage of failed deployments
- Mean time to failure recovery
A Vagrant is a tool of DevOps that can create and manage virtualized environments for testing and developing software.
Here are some reasons which make AWS DevOps a highly popular, such as:
- AWS CloudFormation
- AWS EC2
- AWS CloudWatch
- AWS CodePipeline
Open source tools mainly used by any organization which is adapted by DevOps pipeline because DevOps came with the focus of automation in various aspects of organization build, release, change management, and infrastructure management areas.
The principles behind DevOps are:
- Continuous deployment
- Infrastructure as code
DevOps is very helpful for developers to fix the bugs and quickly implement the new features. It also helps in more transparent communication between the team members.
Pair programming is an engineering practice of Extreme Programming Rules. In this case, two programmers work on the same system on the same design or algorithm.
One programmer act as a Driver and other as an Observer who continuously monitors the progress of a project to identify problems. The roles can be reversed at any point of time without any prior intimation.
Following are the technical and business benefits of DevOps work culture:
- Less complex problems to fix.
- Continuous software delivery.
- Faster bugs resolution.
- Most stable operating environments.
- More time available to add product value.
- Faster delivery of features for customer satisfaction.
The build is a method in which the source code is put together to check whether it works as a single unit. In the build creation process, the source code will undergo compilation, testing, inspection, and deployment.
Organization playbooks as the role give more reliability and reusability to any plays while considering a task where MySQL installation should be done after the removal of Oracle DB. You need another requirement to install MySQL after java installation. In both cases, you need to install MySQL, but without roles, it needs to write playbooks separately for both use cases. Still, once using roles, the MySQL installation role is created can be utilized any number of times by invoking using logic in site.yaml.
Here are some popular tools of DevOps, such as:
- Jenkins: Jenkins is a DevOps tool for monitoring the execution of repeated tasks. Jenkins is a software that allows continuous integration. And it will be installed on a server where the central build will take place.
- Ansible: Ansible is a leading DevOps tool. Ansible is an open-source IT engine that automates application deployment, cloud provisioning, intra service orchestration, and other IT tools.
- Nagios: Nagios is one of the more useful tools for DevOps. It can determine the errors and rectify them with the help of network, infrastructure, server, and log monitoring systems.
- Docker: Docker is a high-end DevOps tool that allows building, ship, and run distributed applications on multiple systems.
- Git: Git is an open-source distributed version control system that is freely available for everyone. It is designed to handle minor to major projects with speed and efficiency.
Component-Based Development (CBD) is a unique way to approach product development. In this method, developers always look for existing well defined, tested, and verified components to compose and assemble them to a product instead of developing from scratch.
Scrum is used to divide a sophisticated software and product development task into smaller chunks using iterations and increasing practices. Scrum consist of three roles, such as:
- Product owner
- Scrum master
You can use SSH to log into a remote machine and work on the command line. Also, you can use it to tunnel into the system to facilitate secure encrypted communication between two hosts over an insecure network.
Here are some cloud computing platform used for DevOps implementation, such as:
- Google Cloud
- Amazon Web Services
- Microsoft Azure